Portland's Urban Heat Islands: Unequal Impacts -- What Next?
This handout has been prepared for our Let's Talk Climate conversation on April 18, 2017.
- About Vivek Shandas’ Sustaining Urban Places Research (SUPR) Lab at PSU and their work
- About OPAL’s environmental justice efforts
- About TriMet’s strategic planning
- About the City of Portland’s Climate Action Plan
- About Audubon’s work with urban forests
- About urban forestry and tree planting at Arbor Day festivities at Mt. Scott Park on Saturday, April 22
- Check out recent climate news at Oregon Environmental Council
- Urge your state Representative and Senator to vote for climate abatement and mitigation and to put a cap on carbon. Attend constituent meetings, call, e-mail, or write them. Learn who represents you and about pending legislation at the OLIS website.
- Join the People’s Climate March in Portland on April 29th
- Check out Renew Oregon and 350PDX for current opportunities to advocate
Make Personal Changes:
- Plant a tree or native-plant garden or help others plant trees.
- Install a green roof or lighter-colored roofing material
- Assess your household carbon footprint and take steps to reduce it.
- Choose the least carbon-intense option for transportation, food choices, and purchases of goods and services